(For information regarding my Shakespeare Lectures: georgewalllectures@gmail.com)

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

One of my favourite moments in Antony and Cleopatra is during the scene on Sextus Pompey's barge (2.7) where one his followers, Menas, takes him aside and offers him the world - Pompey was surprised by the offer as well. Note the economical, yet charged language in the exchange (by the way the "three world-sharers" are Octavius, Lepidus and Antony, and they are on the barge after signing a treaty to make Pompey their equal, for the time being anyway):

MENAS
Wilt thou be lord of all the world?

POMPEY
What say'st thou?

MENAS
Wilt thou be lord of the whole world? That's twice.

POMPEY
How should that be?

MENAS
But entertain it,
And, though thou think me poor, I am the man
Will give thee all the world.

POMPEY
Hast thou drunk well?

MENAS
No, Pompey, I have kept me from the cup.
Thou art, if thou darest be, the earthly Jove:
Whate'er the ocean pales, or sky inclips,
Is thine, if thou wilt ha't.

POMPEY
Show me which way.

MENAS
These three world-sharers, these competitors,
Are in thy vessel: let me cut the cable;
And, when we are put off, fall to their throats:
All there is thine.

POMPEY
Ah, this thou shouldst have done,
And not have spoke on't! In me 'tis villany;
In thee't had been good service. Thou must know,
'Tis not my profit that does lead mine honour;
Mine honour, it. Repent that e'er thy tongue
Hath so betray'd thine act: being done unknown,
I should have found it afterwards well done;
But must condemn it now. Desist, and drink.

MENAS
[Aside] For this,
I'll never follow thy pall'd fortunes more.
Who seeks, and will not take when once 'tis offer'd,
Shall never find it more.

It's a remarkable moment; for a few moments the fate of the empire is in the balance. And Pompey makes his decision on political rather than moral grounds. Menas' last remark is prophetic, as well: Pompey would very shortly be turned on by Octavius, defeated by his admiral, Agrippa in the Straits of Messina, and ultimately captured and executed.

No comments:

Post a Comment