(For information regarding my Shakespeare Lectures: georgewalllectures@gmail.com)

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

I'm preparing for my next lecture - next Wednesday at 11 am at the Atwater library - on Antony and Cleopatra, and I found a most interesting observation (among many) in Michael Neill's splendid introduction to the 1994 Oxford edition. He notes that three times in the play, at very important moments, Antony uses the simple phrase "to do thus". Once when telling Cleopatra that he no longer cares for Rome but only for her:

Let Rome in Tiber melt, and the wide arch
Of the ranged empire fall! Here is my space.
Kingdoms are clay: our dungy earth alike
Feeds beast as man: the nobleness of life
Is to do thus; when such a mutual pair
[Embracing]
And such a twain can do't, in which I bind,
On pain of punishment, the world to weet
We stand up peerless. (1.1)

The next time (2.2) is when he meets the other triumvirs, Octavius and Lepidus, in Rome and the latter elegantly urges the two not to be too vehement in their own defenses. To which Antony replies that even if they were about to engage in civil war, he would follow such advice:

LEPIDUS
Noble friends,
That which combined us was most great, and let not
A leaner action rend us. What's amiss,
May it be gently heard: when we debate
Our trivial difference loud, we do commit
Murder in healing wounds: then, noble partners,
The rather, for I earnestly beseech,
Touch you the sourest points with sweetest terms,
Nor curstness grow to the matter.

ANTONY
'Tis spoken well.
Were we before our armies, and to fight,
I should do thus.

The third and final time is at his own suicide (4.14), after his servant, Eros, has chosen to kill himself rather than Antony (as Antony had requested):

Thrice-nobler than myself!
Thou teachest me, O valiant Eros, what
I should, and thou couldst not. My queen and Eros
Have by their brave instruction got upon me
A nobleness in record: but I will be
A bridegroom in my death, and run into't
As to a lover's bed. Come, then; and, Eros,
Thy master dies thy scholar: to do thus.
[Falling on his sword]

As we know, the thematic center of the play is in the conflict between Rome and Egypt, and all that they symbolize. So here we have Antony using the same phrase in showing his allegiance to Egypt (through Cleopatra), to Rome (through Octavius), and finally to neither. These types of small, intricate details keep coming up over and over again in Shakespeare's work. They are not matters of coincidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment