(For information regarding my Shakespeare Lectures: georgewalllectures@gmail.com)

Sunday, September 19, 2010

I'm currently re-reading the three plays that are going to be performed in Montreal this November (links below), and it occurred to me that perhaps I've found the answer (for me, anyway) to the age-old question regarding Shakespeare: Is it better to read, or to see, one of his plays? Answer: It's better to read it. Why? Because it requires more from us. I often think back to an insight from one of Marshall McLuhan's essays, wherein he contrasted "hot" and "cool" media as follows: the more that a medium demands from the participant, the "hotter" it is. One of the brilliant aspects of Shakespeare (or any great drama, in fact) is that it opens up so many possible ways of interacting and being creative. Actors, directors, set designers, composers, teachers, critics - anyone who has spent time working with Shakespeare - will often consider it a highlight of their career, a point where their creativity was at its peak. That is very hot media. And reading the play gives our creativity and imaginations the greatest possible challenge. All of this being said, don't get the idea that I would dissuade anyone from seeing the plays live. I can't wait to see them myself. Once again, here are the links:

No comments:

Post a Comment