(For information regarding my Shakespeare Lectures: georgewalllectures@gmail.com)

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The ending of King Lear, and particularly the death of Cordelia, is still a controversial one. It is so dark, and so tragic, that even words as strong as "nihilistic" have been used in discussing the play. In fact, one Norman Tate went so far as to "improve" it by re-writing it with a happy ending (Edgar and Cordelia get married - I'm not sure what happens to the King of France), and this version, apparently, was the one you would have seen in a theater at any point between 1681 and 1838.
Well, I'm giving my King Lear lecture tomorrow, so I'm not going to give away my thoughts on the matter just yet, but over the next couple of posts, I will - with assistance from some of the splendid criticism I've read recently. Or you could come to the lecture and hear it in person.

(Wednesday, September 29 - 11 am: King Lear
The Atwater Library: 1200 Avenue Atwater, Westmount, Quebec
(514) 935-7344
Admission: $20
georgewalllectures@gmail.com for further information, or to reserve a seat.)


No comments:

Post a Comment