(For information regarding my Shakespeare Lectures: georgewalllectures@gmail.com)

Thursday, December 16, 2010

I'm completely baffled by the fact that the new film version of The Tempest, directed by Julie Taymor, appears to not be opening in theatrical release in Montreal. I hope I'm wrong, and it's just been delayed, but it doesn't appear so. Such a thing can't help but raise questions about the level of our society's cultural literacy. It's hard to believe that a film version of a unique and spectacular masterpiece, with a dazzling cast, and directed by one of the most talented of film-makers isn't even being given a chance to find an audience in a city like this one. And I'm not in any way placing the blame on young people when I refer to cultural literacy; it's not the fault of young people - they aren't the ones making decisions such as these. Rather it's the generation older than theirs, people of my age, who are clearly more concerned with money than content, who are responsible. I've spent enough time teaching in high schools to know that young people aren't interested in reading or seeing nonsense, and given the opportunity and the choice they will always opt to be engaged by superior work. But they're too infrequently being given that choice, which is sad. And baffling.

No comments:

Post a Comment