(For information regarding my Shakespeare Lectures: georgewalllectures@gmail.com)

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Merry Wives of Windsor is not only one of the least respected plays in the canon, it's often openly derided, particularly by commentators who have taken a personal liking to Falstaff the character. It seems as if they find it hard to watch him suffer at the hands of the title characters, their husbands and other various pranksters. Some even question whether it's the "real" Falstaff who appears in the play: Harold Bloom calls this one, "pseudo-Falstaff". I find this a bit much. In fact, the Windsor-based Falstaff has several lines that rate with his funniest, including one from the opening scene, wherein he answers the accusations of Justice Shallow in his inimitable way:

FALSTAFF
Now, Master Shallow, you'll complain of me to the king?

ROBERT SHALLOW
Knight, you have beaten my men, killed my deer, and
broke open my lodge.

FALSTAFF
But not kissed your keeper's daughter?

ROBERT SHALLOW
Tut, a pin! this shall be answered.

FALSTAFF
I will answer it straight; I have done all this.
That is now answered.

I'll be writing more about this under-appreciated play in posts to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment